A Blythe Epiphany

...now with more curry

Thursday, January 11, 2007

A Year with The Bard

Some time ago, I decided that I needed a quest. Something that could be self-driven, and keep my interest until the task was complete. So I decided on...
A Year Of Shakespeare.
Here's the plan:
1- read his Complete Works. Every play. All the way through. Not just Masterplots, like I did in college. I mean really read them. I have a head start because I've already done or seen several, but I'm going to re-read those ones as well. And I have a year in which to read 37 plays (and 154 sonnets, and 5 long poems, if I can manage it).
2-see/be in as many Shakespearean plays as I can. So far, I have planned:
-Romeo and Juliet - see it next month
-"Shakespeare's greatest hits" benefit - hopefully perform in it in March
-King Lear - See it in Stratford-Upon-Avon, directed by Trevor Nunn, starring Ian McKellan, in April (hang on, I need a moment to Happy-dance again!)
-As You Like It - hopefully be in it, in June.
3-study/build costuming for Shakespearean performances in outdoor venue - considering versatility, washability, comfort, ease of movement, aesthetic appeal, historical appropriateness, etc.etc.etc.
4-Read critical essays on the plays as I come across them. This may be guilding the lily, but why not shoot for the moon?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home