A Blythe Epiphany

...now with more curry

Thursday, April 21, 2005

News

The production of Closer has been postponed indefinitely. There were major scheduling issues, and because of the budget and the venue we'd had to make a lot of sacrifices to the integrity of the show, and finally it became too much. On one hand, I'm disappointed to not be able to do the role, and work with the others on this show. On the other, I'm relieved to have more time to work on my lines for this summer's Shakespeare.
I'm really looking forward to Two Gentlemen of Verona. The director has required us to be off-book (all lines memorized) by the beginning of rehearsals. Typically, since this is community theatre, and everybody's got day jobs and other commitments, the "off-book" date doesn't happen until about two or three weeks into the rehearsal process. I find myself excited by the challenge. I like being held to an expectation that is greater than I'm used to.
In addition, the director will be coming directly from England, and bringing with him a different theatre tradition than I'm used to. The rest of the cast is excellent too, and I'm very much looking forward to working with everyone. And possibly the best thing? I'm playing a (male) servant, which means no fussing with my hair, no heavy corsets, and no acting lovesick for a man who doesn't love me. What's not to love?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home