A Blythe Epiphany

...now with more curry

Friday, December 02, 2005

Quilt update


Quilt block 1
Originally uploaded by Epiphany.

I know you guys are dying to know, so here you go. This week's quilt homework is to finish the top part. That means making 13 blocks like you see here, and alternating them with 12 blocks of the bright floral fabric, and sewing it all together. In later classes, we'll learn how to put the borders on, fill it, put the back on, bind it, etc.


The little checkerboards in Gryffindor colors are the 52 that I was talking about in an earlier post. Each new block will use 4 of them, as you can see.


How do you like that machine? It belonged to my mother before I was born. It's a Singer Zig-Zag 457, and according to my google results, it's from 1968. But it still works really well. In fact, I thought I had broken it when I dropped it a few weeks ago, so I went out looking for a new one. they intimidated me so much with all of the different stitch styles and odd knobs, that I decided to perform surgery on the 457 and see if I could fix it. A little cleaning (I could probably have stuffed the quilt with the 35 years worth of lint I found inside), some poking and jiggling (git yer mind outta the gutter!), and a few soothing words later, and she's working fine again. This is a very cool thing, as I really like working with the older, sturdier machine. I learned on one from probably the late 1800's, and I feel more of a connection to the older machines.


But the iPods from the 1800's really aren't worth much, so it's not the same for all types of devices.

Click the pic for a larger version if you want. There are nifty notes on it too - you can mouse over it to read 'em.

4 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Blogger Epiphany said...

Excellent sucking up, Ed. You get a gold star. :)

 
At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering if your Zig Zag 457 is called just a plain 457 to Singer? I'm looking to buy the manual and I'm a new sewer, I found a 457 at the singer site. Also this has a wood table attached. It's in very good condition and I paid $35 I hope I didn't get ripped off.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Epiphany said...

I would definitely pay $35 for mine. I like that it's sturdy, with mechanical parts, instead of the onboard computer of the newer machines. It makes me feel I can fix any problems with a screwdriver and some machine oil.
Oh, if only the rest of life were that easy. :)

 
At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great! Thanks so much. Happy Sewing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home