A Blythe Epiphany

...now with more curry

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Drama! Nail biting!


Well, we're set to depart for Scotland in nine days, but four days ago an Icelandic volcano with an unpronounceable name (unless you can pronounce Eyjafjallajokull - I clicked the wikipedia prouncer-thingy and I'm still at a loss to do it. ) erupted, sending a plume of ash right into the fly zones for global travel. The ash cloud has suspended travel indefinitely to the U.K., France, and Skandanavia. And Scotland. Yes, I know I said the U.K., but I wanted to be sure you got the full implications of my statement: I may not get to go to Scotland.

It's hard to be too vocal about my disappointment, because there are thousands of travelers stranded in places they weren't even traveling to or from. There are people who have spent all their money on holiday, and now can't even get home or afford to stay another night in a hotel. People can't get back to work, they can't start their honeymoons, can't attend weddings or funerals, ...the list goes on. I can't imagine the anger, disappointment and frustration they must be feeling right now.

That being said, I am rather nervous that I won't be able to go at all. I've wanted to see Scotland for decades, and we've been planning this particular trip for about 5 months now.

But really the only thing to do it wait and watch and hope and pray that the volcano stops erupting and the weather patterns take the cloud where it can't do as much damage. Any thoughts/prayers/wishes/good vibes you could send would be appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home