A Blythe Epiphany

...now with more curry

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Edinburgh, 4-28-10

Well, we made it.


We had smooth flights, and on the long leg from Washington DC to London, the four of us were originally to be separated, but at the last minute I was fortunate enough to get in an empty seat next to my mother instead of being stuck in the back of the middle section for 8 hours next to an elderly New Zealander with a strong personal scent and a penchant for talking. It would have been a long flight indeed if not for that empty seat.
I want to keep this post reasonably short, so I won't go into the difficulties of sleeping on a plane. But they are numerous, in case you weren't aware.
I realized at one point while sitting in the airport, that I don't have much of a dialect in my native country, so I'm used to people being unsure where I'm from. Here in Scotland, I am immediately recognizable as an American as soon as I open my mouth (if not sooner).
The final leg I had to take on my own, with Mom, Dad, and Aunt Becky following on the next flight, four hours later. While I love them all dearly, I relished having a little time on my own to navigate and find my way to the hotel. I planned to drop off my things and head back out for some sightseeing and general reconnaissance, but ended up sleeping for about 3 hours until the rest of the group joined me. So much for some alone time.
All in all, the journey took about 19 hours. I'm sitting in the common room of the B&B where we're staying, and the light of the day is slowly dimming over Edinburgh. We're in the relatively new part of town, as it's only about 200 years old, appropriately called New Town. Tomorrow I hope to see a little of Old Town so that I can compare the two. Also, more photographs, I promise. Today, I only got the one posted above before my batteries died. Boo.
Well, I'm exhausted, and after a delicious dinner of Arbroath Smokie fish cakes, a salad, and some "real ale"- Caledonian 80 (for Lamoureaux) - plus a short walk around the town, I believe I'll head to bed.

1 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay - glad you made it in one piece and without suffering the hours in what sounds like hell :) More travelogue, please!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home