A Blythe Epiphany

...now with more curry

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Okay, I gotta say it

You know that lady who always wears the Christmas sweaters at the first sign of winter? And the closer it gets to Christmas (because let's face it, she's not celebrating Hanukkah or Kwanzaa), the more items of decor she wears? Well, that lady and all the other ladies in her club, have been coming to my workplace in droves. I wish I could get a picture for you without being obvious, because I would so put that little black rectangle over her eyes, and the words "Fashion Don't" on the picture. We've got the Nutcracker in here for a three day residency, and these ladies aren't pulling out any stops when dressing for their night of holiday culture.
Last night, there was a lady in a 3/4 length fur, but it wasn't cold enough in the lobby for her to button it up, so I was able to see her Christmas cardigan with gold sequins, her white turtleneck with snowman applique on the neck, her red showflake gloves, quilted blue skirt with the winter scene on it, white tights with alternating poinsettia and candy cane pictures on it, and her ballet-style low pumps with another winter scene, complete with a layer of snow painted 'round the heel and a snowman perched on each toe. I am not exaggerating. I believe to my core that she had christmassy earrings, but I couldn't pull my eyes away from those shoes long enough to check it out.
And just a few minutes ago, a lady came in to pick up her tickets in advance, and she was decked out all in red: Red blazer with glittery wreath pin on the lapel, red and green plaid vest with gold lame threads running through it, red pants, red shoes, black tights, red fingernails, poinsettia ring, and these red christmas Jingle Bells (about 2 inches in diameter) hanging from red satin cords in her ears. The bells made so much noise with every step as she walked in, she had to stop and wait for the noise to die down before she could make her request. I kept expecting eight tiny reindeer to be following right behind her.
Ladies. If any of you are reading this (and I would say, "you know who you are," but I don't think any of these ladies read my blog or any other for that matter - is that mean of me to say?) are guilty of Christmas-wear overload, it's not too late to rein it in.
There will be other Christmases. There will be other events at Christmastime. You can spread it out. You don't have to show off every piece of decor at every opportunity. This is not a contest, and if it were, You Win. Just stop it already.
There. I'm done. Ya'll have a good holiday now, y'hear?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home