A Blythe Epiphany

...now with more curry

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Stuff

The last several days have been quite busy. We're understaffed at work, and we have a big show coming in two weeks for a three night run. I have been serving as ticket agent for the past week, which means that my duties as manager have had to take a back seat. And any time there is a spare moment away from the ticketline, if I start on something else, I get interrupted. But everyone still wants their reports, and payments, and email replies, and new events set up. It leaves me feeling like I've been at target practice all day - as the target. There is just SO much to get done, and no time to do it. By the time I leave here, I have no energy to do any Christmasshopping or decorating, which leaves me feelig even more behind. I've told my boss that we need to hire more help, and I think I've finally gotten him to agree to think about it, but it's too late to hire and train someone new for the holiday shows so we'll just have to limp along as best we can until after the new year. I hereby decree that all current staff members are prohibited from getting sick.
I hate to be the whiner (no really, I do). But I am getting burned out, and every week that I work more overtime without pay, I just get more and more bitter about it. I could make a list of all the things I still have to do, both personally and for work, but that would only take more time that I don't have and it would depress me even more.

'Nuff o' that.

In other news, my birthday was yesterday. My loved ones did everything they could to make it a good day, and it was very nice. If not for my family and friends, I would be a very sad sack indeed.

Focusing on the positive, I got some really cool stuff. My parents sent goodies from their trip to Ireland - A gorgeous sweater, a Connemara Marble worry stone, some bookmarks, and a wee bit o' sheep's wool so that I can begin to make my own sweater(!). They also sent me cards and money and flowers and stuff. They do spoil me. Rotten.
On the way home from work on Monday, as I was wallowing in self-pity, I thought of my Granddad who passed away a couple of months ago, and how I would not get a card from him this year, signed "Love, Granddad" with his scrawly signature. When I got home, there was a card that said "for a dear Granddaughter" with a note inside from my mom. She said that she thought Granddad would not want his grandchildren to be deprived of their birthday wishes just because he is no longer with us, so she and my uncle are sending cards along, with his love inside. I'm crying as I'm typing this.
Do you see how fantastic my family is? And how lucky I am? What room do I ever have to complain about anything?
My friend Doug (of DOUG. fame) took me out to dinner at a really nice Thai place, My co-worker Susan got me a pretty lamp, several friends (thanks Adam, Grant, Red, Marie,Doc, ...I feel like I'm at an awards show and forgetting to thank someone!) called or sent cards or emails to wish me a Happy Birthday. Also, Michael - my friend Michael - who wants to be mentioned here more too (Michael does) - Michael gave me a rockin' foot massage and backrub the other day - I'm counting that as a birthday present too. 'Cuz it's my birthday, and I can if I want to.

Thanks everyone for making me feel special and loved. I love you right back.

1 Comments:

At 8:17 PM, Blogger blank said...

Yer welcome beautiful. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home