A Blythe Epiphany

...now with more curry

Friday, April 30, 2010

Pitlochry 4-30-10

I got a cat fix this morning when Tessa, one of the owners of our B&B, brought down her kitty for me to snuggle for a few minutes. It was an unexpected bonus of an already enjoyable stay.
Breakfast at Rick's again - fruit and yogurt today, in contrast to yesterday's haggis. Probably a good idea.

Mom and Dad left to pick up the rental car, and when they came back, Dad was shaking, and Mom's hair was standing on end. Apparently, it's a small challenge to drive on the other side of the road, but an even greater one to shift with the other hand, look in other places to find the mirrors, and get used to a new type of car, all at the same time, while driving in a large, unfamiliar city. There was a light rain as we set out, so I was glad I brought a nice waterproof jacket. We headed for the fishing village of Anstruther, and watched as the soft, rolling hills gave way to coastline and scores of fishing boats. Had lunch at the Anstruther Fish Bar, a local favorite for fish and chips. We had the fish and chips. We were underwhelmed. Afterward, Dad and I went through the Scottish Fisheries Museum while Mom and Aunt Becky...did something else. The Fisheries museum got us thinking about the centuries of life on the water, the life of a fisherman (or woman) and his (or her) family, the ways it had changed through the centuries, and the ways it hadn't.

The weather was clear and lovely as we left the museum, so we wandered around on the waterfront for a few minutes looking at the boats, then jumped back in the car for the short drive to St. Andrews, a.k.a. the Birthplace of Golf.

Aunt Becky is the golfer in our group, so I know we didn't stay at St. Andrews long enough for her, but we did get a good look at the "Old Course," and watched some people tee off. They were setting up for the Open Championship, which will be held there in July. Even without knowing much at all about Golf, or St. Andrews, I could still feel a strong sense of history and reverence surrounding the place. I wished for a moment that I could teleport my golf-loving friends here for the afternoon so they could really appreciate it as my ignorant self cannot.
On the way out of St. Andrews, I managed to convince the group to let me jump out and get some photos of the beautiful ruin of the St. Andrews Cathedral. Mom got out with me and we raced through the place as quickly-yet-respectfully as we could, trying to soak up as much as possible in a short amount of time. I believe that some day I must try to either camp in such a place, or take part in some type of reenactment at an abbey or cathedral ruin. Add that to my Bucket List.
We got back into the car and watched as the scenery rolled by, changing once again, this time to the beginnings of craggy highlands.
We made one last evening stop at what was to be possibly my favorite place on the whole trip: Glamis Castle. Steeped in history (and I really mean that), Glamis (pron. Glahmz)originated as a medieval hunting lodge, and has been in the same family since the 1300's. England's Queen Mother is of this family, and spent a lot of time here as a child. Said to be the most haunted castle in Scotland, it is the reported home of a servant boy, the Grey Lady, Earl Beardie, and others, who are said to haunt the castle and grounds. Also, Shakespeare wrote it into MacBeth, so it's got that going for it. All this being said, I think I could be quite comfortable there. There are over 100 rooms in the castle, but only about 11 were open to tour. Even so, the tour took about an hour and a half. I'm sad I didn't get the guide's name, because he was a great one - he clearly loves the castle, knows his history, and created a perfect blend of humor and respect.

About an hour's drive through pretty, sheep-filled farmland in many shades of green (Becky, the painter, could identify every one!) took us to Pitlochry, known for its hiking trails and outdoor activities. We noticed that the hills are starting to get a little steeper now. There was a short period of light rain during the drive, and then we were rewarded with a beautiful rainbow. We stopped for the night at Craigroyston House, run by the very sweet and exceedingly accommodating Gretta. Mom and Dad's room seemed plenty comfortable, but mine and Aunt Becky's was luxurious - large, with two beds, and a seating area in a bay window overlooking the little valley with the main shopping road and the hillside beyond.
We took a pleasant walk to dine at a nearby restaurant (yummy and light salmon, salad, asparagus and tea for me), then back to the room for a good night's sleep. Tomorrow, we'll sleep in a bit, and then head to Inverness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home